Warfare Incorporated :: View topic - Controling different factions
Warfare Incorporated Forum Index
 FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups 
 Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

Controling different factions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warfare Incorporated Forum Index -> Mission Authoring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wayner
Developing Poster

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 5:13 pm    Post subject: Controling different factions Reply with quote

I'm dying to make it so you can control sides other than side1! If you know how to, please tell me! I'll be extremely grateful! Mr. Green
SoLan
Very Active User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean in levels that you make? I don't think you can chose that in the game, but when you make a level, you chose which sides are controlled by the computer and which side is controlled by the human player. I haven't tried this myself, but if it doesn't work something needs to be fixed. Wink

You decide who will control a side by setting the "Intelligence" under SideInfo. Go to "Settings" and chose the side you want to alter. Chose "Human" as the intelligence for the human player or "Computer" for the computer player.

wayner
Developing Poster

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help, but I still can't control side3 for some reason. Could someone make a sample for C4: Tables turned so I can see how you control the free radicals?
crakerz
Mega-Poster

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wayner, it might help if you gave us a little more to go on. What are you trying, and what isn't working?

Here's a trick I use while creating and testing a level that helps me to see what is going on:

Create an area (I call mine "SECTOR") that is as big as the entire map. In your "human" side triggers, at mission load use the action: Defog 'area' and choose "SECTOR" (or whatever you called it). This allows you to see the entire map at once. It may help pinpoint what is/isn't happening.
SoLan
Very Active User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wayner wrote:
Thanks for the help, but I still can't control side3 for some reason. Could someone make a sample for C4: Tables turned so I can see how you control the free radicals?

I have tried to do what I suggested to you, and just like you I can't make it work. I tried it in a very simple level, and I can't see any reason why it shouldn't work. I think this is something you should report in the beta 2 bugs topic.

crakerz
Mega-Poster

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To add to what you two have discovered, SoLan and wayner:

I created a simple level with 1 guard of each side (made 'em all pacifists so they wouldn't shoot each other) and went through the sides. At one point, when I had chosen side 3 as human, I got side 2! Another time, side3 worked just fine. This is a definite bug, and I think is related to what SoLan and I have been seeing in triggers for other sides working and then not working. The difficulty is in repro.
scottlu
WI Founder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having a hard time reproducing this. I set side 1 to computer, side 2 to computer, side 3 to human, do a bunch of stuff, then check those sides again to make sure those settings are still there and they are. Help with a repro scenario would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
SoLan
Very Active User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. The problem is not getting the editor to keep the settings for computer and human sides, but to actually make it work in the game. I am preparing a repro scenario for you.
crakerz
Mega-Poster

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if one of us sent you the level and the compiled version of a non-working set?
scottlu
WI Founder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I've found the problem. Thank you all for the reporting, repro scenario, and sample scenarios. I've fixed the game so this won't happen. For now you can work around it by setting the intelligence for every side by hand in the editor, even sides you have no units for.

What was happening is that the game was defaulting a side's intelligence to human, and selecting the first human side as the local player's side. Side 2 wasn't specified in the editor so the game assumed it was human (whether there were units or not), and then selecting it as the local player (since it is the first human side); that is why you couldn't select side 3's units. The in-game fix is to default a side's intelligence to computer. This will ensure the side you specified in the editor as human will get selected as the local player.

SoLan
Very Active User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So that's what is happening. Shocked In the editor, it looks like all sides intelligence defaults to computer when you create a new level (at least it does so here). I think with the in-game fix it will seem more consistent.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warfare Incorporated Forum Index -> Mission Authoring All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: