Warfare Incorporated :: View topic - Why crashing occurs and how to prevent crashing
Warfare Incorporated Forum Index
 FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups 
 Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

Why crashing occurs and how to prevent crashing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warfare Incorporated Forum Index -> Multiplayer Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
N@TE
Chief Administrator Emeritus

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Why crashing occurs and how to prevent crashing Reply with quote

Recently, I have been receiving a slew of reports from people saying they're crashing. Thus, I would like to provide a universal guide to answer two questions: "Why am I crashing?" and "How do I prevent crashing?" Crashing is usually caused by at least one, if not a combination, of three things (ranked from most to least likely cause of crashing): the user's device, the user's connection, and the map being played. Each of these is explained in detail below.

1. The user's device is, at least from my experience, the most likely cause of a crash. Don't be fooled; a crash can both occur and be prevented on any device, not matter how old or new it is! When the user's device is the cause of the crash, chances are it is because the user filled up the available RAM on their device. Note that RAM is not equal to the amount of storage on your device. A 16GB iPhone 4S has just as much RAM as a 64GB iPhone 4S. A user can fill up their device's RAM by having too many background processes going on, such as too many backgrounded apps, or perhaps the user sat in the chat too long and accrued a lot of text sent back and forth. Occasionally, there are some background processes in the OS running that the user didn't initialize.

How do I prevent my device from being the cause of crashing?
If your device is capable of backgrounding, exit out of as many backgrounded apps as you can before joining a game. If your device is jailbroken, that is most likely the source of your crashing. Overall, jailbreaking creates more background processes and fills up RAM faster. Another way to easily clear RAM is to restart your device; completely powering off your device and turn it back on again, don't just lock and unlock it. Because this can become a pain, there are apps to aid in clearing RAM without restarting your device, such as Memory Pro, or the app I personally use, System Activity Monitor. Both of these apps currently sell for 99¢, although only one is needed. I personally recommend System Activity Monitor because I've had good experiences with that app in the past and it seems to just work great. Once bought, just launch one of these apps, clear RAM (System Activity Monitor begins working on this automatically upon launch), and then go back and enjoy your game. Clearing RAM isn't always needed, but if you find your device being slow, it is recommended and may just prevent you from crashing next game.

2. The user's connection is vital to a successful gaming experience. If a user's connection is too slow, they will usually lag (and possibly get disconnected). However, in extreme cases in maps where there is a lot of action and unit movement, the user will crash when they have a poor connection. When one considers all the data that must be constantly transferred — amount and type of units and structures, unit and structure placement on the map, map layout, etc. — it can be seen why a strong connection is essential to playing this game, and why this game consumes more data than just loading a webpage containing some text and a few images.

How can crashing and lagging from a poor connection be prevented?
It is highly recommended to only play this game over 802.11g or 802.11n WiFi, simply because of its reliability and speed. If you are playing over WiFi and still lagging or crashing, try to move closer to your router; the stronger a connection you have, the less frequently you will lag and crash. Playing the game over 4G LTE most likely wouldn't yield many problems, but that is only currently available on the second and third generation iPads (although Apple is rumored to support LTE on its unreleased sixth-generation iPhone due this fall). Playing the game over 3G is prone to lag, and playing over 2G may lead to more lag than playing time. (Note that I have no personal experience with playing the game over 2G, 3G, or 4G, just technical knowledge and the many stories and experiences of others.)

3. The map in which the match is being played on can sometimes cause a player to crash. Generally, when the map is at fault for crashing, all players crash, but that is not always the case. Map crashes are most commonly triggered by unit groups, even more commonly with unit groups spawning. When half an army suddenly spawns, there are sometimes undesired effects.

How can map crashes be prevented?
For players, simply enough, just stay away from the map. Please report the map to an administrator, or post on the mission pack topic. When reporting a map, please include: the map name, the mission pack name, the creator of the mission pack, and any steps that can be used to reproduce the problem (stepping on a pad, the map crashes after x minutes/seconds into the game, etc.). The mission pack title and creator of the map can be found by tapping on the map in the "Create Game" menu (thus highlighting it, not creating it) and by looking at the bottom-left corner of your screen. If you include the link to the mission pack topic, you don't need to include the mission pack title and creator of the mission pack, and the admins will really appreciate a link. The mission author of the defective map will be notified, and if the mission author is inactive, the map may be quarantined. We appreciate your help in improving maps.

For mission authors, try to stay away from spawning and creating large unit groups. Also, even small unit groups that have a large percentage of health can cause a crash. Instead of spawning the unit group all at once, you could spread out the creation over multiple unit groups (or if it's all the same type of unit, just make the unit group smaller) and by using a "Wait" action between each "Create unit group" action.

If you are one who came here for crashing help, I hope this guide solved your problem! Please post all comments and questions below.

slimjimninja
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought about crashing I had: the game can also crash due to a certain combination of buttons pressed, or a button being pressed under a specific circumstance. For instance, on my iPod the game crashes when I press the research button when I'm in the research selection menu of an R&D and no research is selected when there is some still available to research. It has lost me many a game in the past Sad.
Enzo007
Chatroom Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slimjimninja wrote:
Just a thought about crashing I had: the game can also crash due to a certain combination of buttons pressed, or a button being pressed under a specific circumstance. For instance, on my iPod the game crashes when I press the research button when I'm in the research selection menu of an R&D and no research is selected when there is some still available to research. It has lost me many a game in the past Sad.

Yeah Slim good catch. That happens to me occasionally as well.

Da Dealer
Chat Mod Emeritus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine does it when i build to fast and im clicking away it freezes up orrr when i click on "chat"
Former #1 player
Chat mod
Started in 09'
sam
Die-hard Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm freezes when the 20% button comes up and if i tape it at the same time is freezes ;/ but thats why I play with my ipod plugin Very Happy
N104
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 2nd gen iPod with native multi tasking on it. The iPod is also jailbroken. Would that be more likely to crash than my 1st gen which does not have native multi tasking or is jailbroken?
wonderer
Let The Truth Be Told

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine keeped on crashing on this game and on nova2. So i took off the jailbroken crap it it helped but it still does it but not as much...
being leader of viet pride.
Being the second highest poster on this forum.
Write many strategy.
Helping people and making people laugh.
Yoshiya
Mega-Poster

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:39 am    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

thanks scottlu now i know how to prevent crashing Very Happy
Wolfy
Die-hard Fan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

U mean nate
LSU FOOTBALL #1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Clans ive been in: S.q.u.a.d, demon, BiT, Viet pride, Elite rebels

I LOVE MW3
Yoshiya
Mega-Poster

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea i meant nate
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warfare Incorporated Forum Index -> Multiplayer Discussion All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: