Warfare Incorporated :: View topic - Good PC RTS games for a beginner?
Warfare Incorporated Forum Index
 FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups 
 Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

Good PC RTS games for a beginner?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warfare Incorporated Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
proctog
WI Forum Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 6:53 am    Post subject: Good PC RTS games for a beginner? Reply with quote

Hi

I've never really played RTS games much until Warfare Inc on the Palm; it's great.

I'd like to branch out and play some similar games on the PC, but not being that familiar with the genre I'm unsure where to start.

So, what are peoples recommendations for PC-based RTS games? Ideally something that's easy to get into, until I become more familar with the genre.

TIA

Glenn.
andrew.empson
WI Forum Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally like the Microsoft Age series, particularly the second one... Age Of Kings. You could try out Starcraft, Warcraft or Command And Conquer. Dune is very cool too. Most RTS games come with learn as you play modes, so being a beginner isn't a problem. Starcraft is probably the most similar to Warfare Inc, but I don't have that much experience with this sort of game, so somebody correct me if I'm wrong.
Grandizer
Developing Poster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I first started playing RTS with StarCraft (my bro introduced me to this game). Then moved to Star Trek Armada, Command and Conquer, Warlord's Battlecry, and then Command and Conquer Red Alert. I really like Yuri's Revenge (expansion pack for C&C RA) and play this continually over the rest. Even networked with other home system to duke it out with my bro.

Actually all of them are similiar to WI. The only exception is StarCraft and Star Trek Aramada, in which you had to continually build a certain structure to increase your troop production. If these structures were not built, you had a very limited army to build. Simply put each structure you build allows you to build between 2-5 units (depending on the size of your troop, tank or warship). Or something similar to that effect. I haven't played these titles in a while and can't really remember the system...
ignatius
Semi-frequent Poster

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked Age of Mythology the most, then the latest Warcraft and Command and Conquer.
DBZ-GOKU-
Mega-Poster

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get C&C Generals, it is way cool. There are also three campaigns (and an expansion). The U.S., the Chinese, and the Terrorists. It is fun, plus there is multiplayer and skirmish mode. I also like Starcraft (graphics do not compare to now-a-day games though, I just played it the other day and was like "wow, this is not as good looking as I remember").

I also like Age of Empires 2 (Midevil game) and Empire Earth (a game like where you get to choose your time period, from the Stone age all the way up to the future (3000 AD or something)).

Microsoft makes Age of Empires 2, Sierra makes Empire Earth and EA/Westwood makes the good and long C&C series, including Generals. Smile

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Grandizer
Developing Poster

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OT -> Has anyone tried LOTR: War of the Ring? Any good?
suraklin
WI Forum Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that Age of Mythology was pretty fun, and easy to play.

As far as best PC RTS of all time, I give that to Total Annihilation. Not TA: Kingdoms -- I'm talking the original Core vs Arm. Definately not for the faint of heart as there's a zillion different units, but the single player missions do break you in at a pretty gentle speed.

Blizzard RTS games (Starcraft / Warcraft) are easy to get into, and have engrossing storylines, but I find the difficulty can be overwhelming at times later on in the game.

Speaking of overwhelming difficulty, I thought Warfare Inc was way too easy.. at first... then i got to the mission that introduces the free radicals and wants me to give 20k creds to the Omni.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Antman
WI Forum Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Blizzard games, StarCraft & WarCraft, are the best. Blizzard has managed to create a balance with totally different races. In Starcraft, the re are humans, highly advanced Protoss, and crude but numerous Zerg. The three races require different strategies, yet you can win with any one of races.

In most of the other RTS games, the enemies are similar with minor differences.

The other big advantage to Blizzard is the multiplayer Battlenet area on the Internet. It provides a moderated are to battle other people, reduces the chances of cheating, and it's free.

That's my opinion
Stemnin
Developing Poster

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some pros and cons for the games mentioned above (ive been playing these for yrs)

Starcraft pros
-Great replayability (always new maps on b.net or make your own)
-3 totally distinct races
-hotkeys
cons
-alot of ppl hack... Sad ... but i still manage to win most of the time, been playing for 7 yrs!
-steep learning curve if ur not good at strategy games, but if your good at WI, you should have no problem

C&C pros (not generals, the older 2d iso view, red alert, TS, red alert 2)
-Basically WI with super weapons and more variety(gdi and nod have some distinct units)
-random map genrator

cons
-after a while, game starts slowing down (i got a p2 400), when u got like 50 tanks (does same thing with WI on my tungsten)

the Age series is pretty fun too, from microsoft

Homeworld is a great rts, 3d space, might be a little tuff to control for newbs. but ive been playing games since 4th grade (we had a comp class which all we did was play adventures games Very Happy)

http://www.assortedweirdness.com/cheddartrix/archives/000708.php
copasetic
WI Forum Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a PC, I just have my smartphone *tap tap* sheesh I need a keyboard, answering forums on it is nuts, heh, it gtes so hrad to tpye smoetims

*snicker*
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warfare Incorporated Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: