Warfare Incorporated :: View topic - Level causing crash on device
Warfare Incorporated Forum Index
 FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups 
 Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

Level causing crash on device

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warfare Incorporated Forum Index -> Mission Authoring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SoLan
Very Active User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 4:38 am    Post subject: Level causing crash on device Reply with quote

I have downloaded the level editor and studied the examples provided and I am now working on my first level. Everything seemed fine for a while, and I was able to test the level on my Palm Tungsten T3 after I downloaded version 1.0a of Warfare Inc. But then, after loading a new version of my level, my T3 crashed. I managed to move my initial units a little way, but then my device froze. I had done a few changes from the last working version, and I had to go quite a few steps back in order to make the level work again. I am trying to "debug" the faulty level to find out what caused the crash, but I can not find anything obvious. I'll keep trying and post again if I find the reason.

--SoLan
claxbane
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just out of curiosity. How does a level behave if all you do is load level and defog an area. Does that simple part work?

This is a good opportunity for me to remind the map creators that you should do small steps then test your level, and then continue. It will make it easier for you to tell us what went wrong, which in turn will make it easier for us to make the mission editor solid.

SoLan
Very Active User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Creating levels in the level editor is working. The level that caused the crash was a level that had been working, but stopped working after I had done some modifications to it. I tried to go backwards one step at the time to find out which change caused the freeze, but I haven't succeeded in locating the error this far. I think In the end I found out that I had backtracked myself beyond the last working version without being able to make it work again, so I brought out a backup and continued to work on that. I still have the level that makes the T3 freeze and I hope - eventually - to find the reason for the Fatal Exception. Smile

I have finished the first level in my mission pack and I am now testing it while working on the next level. And now I am getting error messages from the level editor when I try to create a mission pack. Sad I get a long error message but since it is in Norwegian, I don't know if it will be of any help if I send it to you. Once again I have gone back to the last working backup version, and now it works. I have kept the level that caused the problem and I will try to backtrack myself to find out what causes the error, but I haven't found out yet.

I am sorry I haven't been able to produce any solid feedback for you yet, but I will keep trying. Smile

--SoLan
claxbane
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the good work. Let me know if you reach anything conclusive.

Andrew

SoLan
Very Active User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have abandoned the map that gave me the error message in the level editor alltogether. I tried to locate the cause of the error, but I could not find it. There were level errors reported before the big error message came (tower on unreachable and so on). It may just be that there were too many errors in the map for the editor to handle. Confused

I mentioned in another thread that I have concluded that I should never try to finish a map that I use while developing a level. This always result in unplayable missions. So when I am done fiddling, I always start with a fresh map and make the level according to a plan with as little experimenting as possible. I am not going to try to give any explanation for this, but it somehow seems like errors are accumulating in the maps/levels if I change them too much. Rolling Eyes

--SoLan
t3guy
Developing Poster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have scrapped a couple levels because of the freeze after a few seconds issue. I have found what caused mine, I'd like someone else to try this. When I created a unit for BullPups I had them built on level start, and recreate if destroyed. I had them begin mining right away, I think set to coward. Anyway, the problem I had was caused by checking the repeat forever box. If I leave that unchecked I don't have the freeze problem. Anyone have feed back?
scottlu
WI Founder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know about the repeat forever bug for bullpups. It's on the list to fix for next release.

As a general approach I advise that everyone make small changes between in-game tests. That way if the test fails you have a good idea what the problem was/is.

And of course we're interested in knowing about any "breaking behavior" that you encounter.

Scott

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warfare Incorporated Forum Index -> Mission Authoring All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: