Warfare Incorporated :: View topic - Warfare Incorporated Editor FAQ
Warfare Incorporated Forum Index
 FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups 
 Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

Warfare Incorporated Editor FAQ
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warfare Incorporated Forum Index -> Mission Authoring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crakerz
Mega-Poster

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I wouldn't get to ahead of your selves (but you are doing a good job so far), becasue somethings might change (and I hope some things do), like the ability to just select an item and click where ever you want multiple times without having to do copy/paste and or select it every time.

In a way, you CAN do that. Hold down the CTRL key while you click on an item, then drag the duplicate. It is very fast to create many of a single item this way.

Girt
Established Forum User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Don't get too ahead"

Maybe valid point, but anything we document now is hopefully helping current level writers. I'M reading this stuff!

- Girt

Girt
Established Forum User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posted elsewhere, earlier, by Crackerz

"I've noticed that there are automatic priorities in layering sprites, icons, and textures.

I noticed that if you place several of the same type on top of each other, even though they exist in the editor, only one is translated to the actual level. For example, I placed five galaxites layers, but the Bullpup ate only one."

Verdagon, are you picking all this stuff up from the other posts?

Verdagon
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Girt"]Verdagon, are you picking all this stuff up from the other posts?[/quote]

I do, as I see them. But I haven't really been able to pick up anything from the last 5 or 6 posts in this thread.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Verdagon
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note to self (I put ALL the suggestions here):
Explain how to string levels together in a campaign

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
crakerz
Mega-Poster

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 7:38 pm    Post subject: Creating Structures using Unit Groups Reply with quote

You might have noticed that you can't create structures using unit groups. Well, you can, but indirectly.

First off, if you are using the Create Unit action, stop. Every time you compile, it will create a group called "cuaa#" (which probably stands for Create Unit Action). Eventually, you will get errors. Use Unit Groups. This will probably be fixed next release, but really, Unit Groups are better.

To use unit groups to create building:
1. Use the Create Unit Action to Spawn or Build it.
2. Compile, then open the Unit Group Window.
3. Select the cuaa group that was created. Wait a beat, then click it again to rename it.
4. Change the Create Unit Action to Create Unit Group, using the group you just created.

A few other notes:

Only one Structure can be spawned into an area at a time. Create a unique area for each structure. The default area size is perfect for this.

To use unit groups for SideNeutral, you must use the same technique as for structures to start the group. Notice that the Side box is blank. Leave it alone. Add more units to the group, if you want.

Verdagon
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your awesome suggestions Very Happy
SoLan
Very Active User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 5:23 am    Post subject: Split large maps/long stories over more than one level Reply with quote

From the posts in this forum, it seems like some people are having problems making levels that will fit very advanced story lines and also some people think the map size is too small.

If your story is too long or complicated to fit comfortably in one level, or if your storyline requires lots of different map details, consider splitting the storyline over more than one level and linking them (once that becomes possible in the editor) into a multi level mission pack. A very elaborate storyline may make a level confusing for players as well as developers, and splitting the action into "chapters", you can let the player accomplish parts of the overall mission before moving on.

Also having more than one map will let you design new surroundings for further action without having to make it fit with what you made for the beginning of the story. If you have a large map on paper, try cutting it in half and move the action from one half to the other for the next part of the mission. You could have the player finish the level by moving his units out the side of the map, and then enter the next map as if by the same road. Or you could "transport" your player to an entirely different part of the planet for the next part.

crakerz
Mega-Poster

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 11:33 am    Post subject: Mission Creation and troubleshooting. Reply with quote

Excellent point, SoLan. Again, you state the obvious that many miss.

I taught programming for many years, and the one point that seemed most difficult for novices was planning. Creating an outline of what you want. Drawing a map of the what the user will see. Listing objectives, communications or advisories, triggers, situations, flags. Only after those things are completed can you actually start to create the logic that drives everything.

I often had students that had great ideas, and created cool looking programs - that didn't work. Because they had no real plan or blueprint, they had no clue how to troubleshoot it.

A few pointers on troubleshooting might be in order here:

Every time you compile, the level is saved first. This means that you must save a MASTER or original copy before you start to troubleshoot, and leave it alone. Otherwise, after many little changes, the mess will be worse that before.

Change only ONE thing at a time. Tempting as it is (especially to amatuers) avoid the "scattergun method" of troubleshooting. Even if you get lucky, you will have no idea what the real problem was, and the answer will be PFM {pure frikkin' magic}. Overall, you'll save time.

If you have a mess, start by narrowing your focus. Delete all triggers but one side's. Then delete one trigger at a time, compiling after each, and testing. Once the problem goes away (ie in most cases, it loads without freezing), then look at the last trigger deleted. If you can't figure it out, post JUST that trigger. That's the beauty of this forum, so many brainiacs out there (like SoLan, Wizard, Scottlu, to name a few) that might just know what the problem is.

During creation, after each step, compile and download. Sure it takes time. Nothing great created by man is done quickly.

1. Create the map, and then compile it. Correct errors.
2. Create the switches used.
3. Create the Unit Groups.
4. Create each sides' triggers, A FEW AT A TIME! Compile and download and test.

An area that has caused a number of problems in my levels and a few others is ecoms. Keep them short, if possible, and avoid non-alpha characters. Some are control characters (such as the @ and []) that will cause crashes.

I have a test level, with just a few areas (I mark them with a bush) and a few troops. I use this to test my logic, a few triggers at a time. (Many of my triggers are interdependent), Once I have the concept, I'll put it into my "real" level.

Okay, I'm off! Hope this helps somebody.

Last edited by crakerz on Sun Feb 08, 2004 3:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
scottlu
WI Founder

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crakerz, excellent faq material. Thanks!
crakerz
Mega-Poster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:57 pm    Post subject: Helpful info Reply with quote

I've found it useful to create a little form or table that lists all the units, their cost to build, replicate, and power consumption. That helps to create the right budget for your missions:

MOBILE UNITS: Build/Replicate
Corporate Raider 550/183
Rocket Trooper 300/100
Security Guard 150/50
Andy (550)/183
Fox (550)/183

Broadsword 450/150
Bullpup 600/200
Cyclops 500/166
Dominion 1200/400
Eagle 300/100
Hydra 450/150
Liberator 600/200

STRUCTURES: Build/Power
Headquarters 0/0
HRC 1000/-10
VTC 1250/-10
Galaxite Processor 1500/-10
Galaxite Warehouse 750/-7
Gatling Tower 750/-10
Power Generator 750/+40
Research Center 750/-15
Rocket Tower 850/-15
Surveillance Center 750/-15
Replicator 0/0

I can then total my Unit groups, planned deployments, desired builds, etc. and calculate how much I need to start with, and how much galaxite needs to be on the field.

Galaxite comes in three shapes, and three sizes. The shapes don't matter, but size always does:

Large: 500 credits
Medium: 300 credits
Small: 100 credits

Last edited by crakerz on Wed Feb 11, 2004 4:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
Verdagon
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much, crakerz. It will definitely help with deciding on starting amounts and power generator quantities.

Keep em coming! Your suggestions are "muchly"(as my mom says it, lol) appreciated!

Girt
Established Forum User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crakerz, you rock! That really helps in planning.

Could you, or somebody here, share some insites on how to properly gauge the attacking forces? Philosphy, strategy, calculations?

Verdagon
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about if the player has >20 attacking units you send a big wave, if not, then small wave. Something along the lines of that would work. Hey I should put that in the FAQ!
crakerz
Mega-Poster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Girt wrote:
Crakerz, you rock! That really helps in planning.

Could you, or somebody here, share some insites on how to properly gauge the attacking forces? Philosphy, strategy, calculations?

Girt, do you mean how to set up attack forces, rather than guage them? If so, then yeah, there are lots of ways to do that, including using the $difficulty variable, as well as what verdagon suggested.

I calculate what size forces I want to attack, and in what situations/circumstances I want them to attack. That is important, in that you must allow enough time and credits for the player to defend/counter, but hopefully not by too much. Surprised

It is easy to create a level with scads of galaxite, and have a slugfest, with wave after wave of attackers. That can be fun, but stratagy and subtlety are more difficult, and to some, more fun. Limiting the computer/player's buildable units, limiting the amount of galaxite within reach, steering the player into situations, creating multiple ways for level completion, creating or limiting attack fronts, terrain as a player, all this and more is out there!

Gawd, I can hardly stand it. Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warfare Incorporated Forum Index -> Mission Authoring All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: