Warfare Incorporated :: View topic - Mission Download Page - feedback?
Warfare Incorporated Forum Index
 FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups 
 Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

Mission Download Page - feedback?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warfare Incorporated Forum Index -> Mission Authoring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scottlu
WI Founder

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 12:08 pm    Post subject: Mission Download Page - feedback? Reply with quote

We have the "easy to use" mission download page nearing completion. Here is the link:

http://www.handmark.com/warfare/leveleditor.php

Please take a look and post feedback. Thanks!

(note to mission posters... you can take "Mission: " out of your title, turns out it is unnecessary)

Last edited by scottlu on Wed Mar 10, 2004 11:42 am; edited 1 time in total
drdeath2k3
Semi-frequent Poster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's looking pretty good so far.... looks like i won't be getting the editor working for a little while though which is too bad.... i'll just have to rely on others to post some more masterpieces....

Palm Zire 71
1.8MB free RAM
256MB ScanDisk SD Card
Launcher of choice: ZLauncher 4 Beta
SoLan
Very Active User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have taken "Mission:" out of the title and I got a demonstration of the "live" quality of the download page while I was doing it. Nice Wink

I think the download page looks nice - clean layout and easy enough that it shouldn't be a problem for anybody. There is going to be some more text in there, right? Just some explanation of what the level editor is and what you need to play the user submitted mission packs. Maybe something about installation?

I was also under the impression that the download page would contain something of the descriptions we add when we upload the levels. I am not just asking so that I can see my own description on the page Wink - although my mission pack now looks like a real heavy-weight when it doesn't say anywhere that it contains more than one level - but I think it would be useful for the players who are browsing the levels. Is that something that will be there when the page is finished?

scottlu
WI Founder

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There will be a description of the mission editor, screen shots, and instructions for how to download missions to your device.

Handmark's web guy says that descriptions are too long and wordy to put on this page. As an alternative he suggests changing the link "discussion" to "description".

I suggest experimenting with changing your topic title to mention additional details. A side benefit of this approach is that these details will also show up in the topic view on the sharing forum.

SoLan
Very Active User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if we added a "short description" that would be maybe max. two lines in the forum view or something? Or even less. Please? Wink
mitch
WI Forum Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this page grab the topics from Mission sharing? If so, itd be nice if you made it so that when the user clicked on the name, the first post of the topic would show (thus showing the description and such).
scottlu
WI Founder

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoLan: I've asked Handmark for this and they have said no, I think from a time point of view. I will ask again, I agree that it is important. For the time being, try changing your topic title (which currently has the mission title in it) to include the short description, and it will appear on the download page.

mitch: the link "discussion" for each download item takes you to the discussion thread for that given mission. Perhaps we could just link the title instead of having a separate "discussion" link. I will look into it.

SoLan
Very Active User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried changing the topic title, but it seems like the title has a limit of 60 characters. With 60 characters divided between the mission name and the description, it has to be a short description indeed.
scottlu
WI Founder

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, descriptions have been added! Thank you Handmark. Check out the download page.

When you submit your mission there is a text box called "File Comments" that you can enter a textual description into. This is where the mission pack description should be entered. This text will be put into the download page automatically.

In addition, the mission download count resetting issue is going to be dealt with as well.

scottlu
WI Founder

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, some "bonus" descriptions where entered into the existing posts for download page testing purposes. Authors please edit as appropriate!
SoLan
Very Active User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Handmark and thank you scottlu! Smile

The page looks great. Now the mission list should be much more browseable for players.

When I looked at it I thought of one more thing. Version numbers might be useful in the list, for players to see when mission packs have been updated. Those can easily be included with the mission pack name or with the description, though.

mitch
WI Forum Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another great addition would be for users to be able to rate (on a scale of 5), the mission. Smile
drdeath2k3
Semi-frequent Poster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mitch wrote:
Another great addition would be for users to be able to rate (on a scale of 5), the mission. Smile

good idea

let the popularity contest begin Wink

Palm Zire 71
1.8MB free RAM
256MB ScanDisk SD Card
Launcher of choice: ZLauncher 4 Beta
PhillipEarl
Mega-Poster

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this may be a compatability problem between php code and Macintosh computers, but I can't download from this page. I get an error message stating that my computer doesn't know how to handle the file. According to the message, the mime type is application/octetstream and the filename (regardless of which file I download) is download.php.

This isn't really that much of a problem. I just choose the "Save As" option it gives me, and save the file to my desktop, being sure to change the name to download.pdb (In other words, changing the file's extention from .php to .pdb). It will still sync over to my Tungsten/E, which shows the file's correct name in my file manager (FileZ). Sure enough, the game reads it!

Given the stubborn nature of the Macintosh computer, there's probably nothing anyone can do to make the download work as intended for those poor few of us who do own Macs, but I thought I would post this just in case any of my fellow Mac users get stuck! Smile

Maybe a dialogue or a short faq could be added to the bottom of the downloads page?
scottlu
WI Founder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks PhillipEarl, I'll ask Handmark to take a look at that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warfare Incorporated Forum Index -> Mission Authoring All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: