Warfare Incorporated :: View topic - Running Warfare Inc. from Expansion Memory
Warfare Incorporated Forum Index
 FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups 
 Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

Running Warfare Inc. from Expansion Memory

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warfare Incorporated Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pae
WI Forum Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 9:12 am    Post subject: Running Warfare Inc. from Expansion Memory Reply with quote

Hi,

My Clie T625C normally runs with about 1.3Meg free RAM which is below spec. for this game. I see in your product page that "Note: Warfare Incorporated requires 2 MB of free RAM or expansion memory."

Does this mean there is a way of playing the game with the files loaded on the expansion memory with the game paging in the necessary parts of the game or is it mandatory for 2Meg RAM to be available?

Secondly does the "Free RAM" mean after the game files are loaded or is it just referring to the space required to load the game files.

Many thanks
Paul
DBZ-GOKU-
Mega-Poster

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more RAM you ahve available on your internal memory, the better off you are (whether the game is on internal or card). You can install teh game on a card, but you have to leave the graphics accelerator on teh internal memory (only takes up 34kb anyways).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
handi
WI Forum Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 11:16 pm    Post subject: Warefare on MS Reply with quote

Hi DBZ-GOKU-,
it doesn't work the way you mentioned. Where did you put the big files in on the MS?? Normally they are in \launcher\.
That doesn't work with me.
I moved them file by file and found out that the following files have to be on internal memory:
htdata824.pdb 1,8MB!!!
htsfx.pdb 309KB
MQGX.prc 34KB
I could only move the Warfare Incorporated.prc-file on the expansion card.
There's a lot of internal memory lost for my Clié NX70V.
Do you have another solution??

DBZ-GOKU-
Mega-Poster

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh...you are running a CLie...Go to CLiesource, there are guys there that found out what you need to do in order to run it from the card:
http://cliesource.com/forums/showthread.php?s=9d3167828f5da3596aedcf5a2f2e8d45&threadid=26023

And/or:
http://www.cliesource.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=26074

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dirty John Flint
WI Forum Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 8:36 am    Post subject: Workaround for running Warfare on a Palm m130 Reply with quote

Idea In order to get Warfare to work on my Palm m130, as "handi" says, I had to install the h*.pdb files and the MQGX.prc file in my internal memory and put the Warfare.prc on my SD card. I am running it currently with a little more than 800K of internal memory (and 40+MB of free SD memory). It could probably go lower but wouldn't recommend going below about 500K. I tried many different combinations and this was the only way I could get it to work. If anybody knows a way to get it all on the SD card, that would be perfect. BTW, EXCELLENT GAME GUYS! Assuming the engine can be recycled, it would be great to have other classics such as Command and Conquer.

Last edited by Dirty John Flint on Tue Sep 30, 2003 12:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
mrpinkeye
Semi-frequent Poster

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am able to run my copy off the memory stick, and did not have to do anything special. I installed all files but the graphics accelerator to my memory stick (same as copying the file to the launcher directory.) I use MegaLauncher, but I don’t think that makes a big difference.

I am having problems with missions 3, 5, 7, and 14 freezing the handheld when I start them, forcing me to soft reset. I have an open support case with Handmark about it.

Dirty John Flint
WI Forum Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Workaround for running Warfare on a Palm m130 Reply with quote

Idea In order to get Warfare to work on my Palm m130, as "handi" says, I had to install the h*.pdb files and the MQGX.prc file in my internal memory and put the Warfare.prc on my SD card. I am running it currently with a little more than 800K of internal memory (and 40+MB of free SD memory). It could probably go lower but wouldn't recommend going below about 500K. I tried many different combinations and this was the only way I could get it to work. If anybody knows a way to get it all on the SD card, that would be perfect. BTW, EXCELLENT GAME GUYS! Assuming the engine can be recycled, it would be great to have other classics such as Command and Conquer.

Exclamation One more very important thing -- if you are running Backdrop GC, you should uninstall it before trying to run this app. It's no problem though because Backdrop GC has a convenient Install/Uninstall button built into the app itself.
Grandizer
Developing Poster

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something about expansion cards.

When you run off an expansion card, it will COPY ALL asssociated program files INTO RAM before it will run. Therefore, you will be required to have the available free RAM in order for the program to run. When you exit the program, ALL associated program files that were copied into RAM will be DELETED. There is no other way around this. Regardless of what you try to do, you need the required empty space in RAM in order to run the program.

Hope this helps.
scottlu
WI Founder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grandizer is right. Secondly, only some launchers know how to copy the data files (ht*.pdb) from mem stick to main memory when the program is launched. This is another reason why it works for some people and doesn't work for others. Note the built-in launcher knows how to do this. This leads to confusion on this subject. We'll be creating a FAQ that describes the various working scenarios tabulated by launcher type.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warfare Incorporated Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: