Warfare Incorporated :: View topic - Countering rocket troopers?
Warfare Incorporated Forum Index
 FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups 
 Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

Countering rocket troopers?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warfare Incorporated Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yorke
WI Forum Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 12:18 am    Post subject: Countering rocket troopers? Reply with quote

I've been playing multiplayer games with my friends over bluetooth recently, and it seems that nothing can match the rocket trooper for attack power and value.
I've tried using liberators to counter the rocket troopers, but the liberators often seem to have a very slight advantage over the troopers due to the effectiveness of the rockets on the vehicles. Furthermore, more rocket troopers can fit in a smaller space, and they are far cheaper, so its possible to mass produce these troopers and fit a few liberators in the swarm to go around destroying everything, so much so that our games often degenerate into a rocket trooper mass battle.
Does anyone have a strategy to counter these rocket troopers eg. a combination of vehicles or something?
PhillipEarl
Mega-Poster

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Security Guards and Eagles. I know from experience that three Security Guards can wipe out a group of four Rocket Troopers and only loose a single Guard in the process. You're selling yourself short, however, if you're limiting yourself to only one type of unit. For infantry, try a mix of three Troopers to every Guard. That way, you get the firepower of the troopers with the minimal reload time of the security guard.

It's all about the reload time. If you can keep the pressure up with the less expensive units (like Guards and Eagles) that can keep up an almost steady stream of fire, you can supplement with your heavier units to take down harder targets, giving them a little breathing room to reload. If you find that Guards and Eagles are easy to kill, throw in a heavily armored vehicle or two to draw fire, like a Broadsword or a Liberator. Heck, in a pinch, I've even spearheaded assaults with Bullups just for their heavy armor and an uncanny ability to draw fire!

...poor little Bullups....
crakerz
Mega-Poster

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now there's a little experiment to try: create a chart of which units are more likely to draw fire in a given situation. Andy and Bullpups are at the top, I'm sure......
alfex
Die-hard Fan

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heck with the chart. I think this calls for a real firefight to decide once and for all.

I am hosting a game tonight 9:30 PST/See forum for IP#. Bring on the Liberators, Eagles, Security Guards or whatever. Smile

I love those Rocket Troopers.

Semi-frequent Poster

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I love those Rocket Troopers.

HHmm, the one time I got into one of your games I never saw any rocket troops, nor any guards for that matter. It might've been Kathy in the game and not Alfex.

Getting back on track, I am surprised that ground troops get used much, because you have to spend the time and credits to build the HRC in the 1st place. Every time I play multiplayer it's a non-stop race to build as many units as fast as possible. After a power generator and a processor, the first thing I always build is a VTS. Then I have to crank out tanks as fast as possible, because some wiseacre starts sending Eagles around to mess with me. I tried building towers to counter that, but the towers take too long to build and too many resources.

Someone else mentioned that reload time is critical, and I am starting to agree. However, I look at reload time not only for the individual units, but also for construction time. To build rocket troopers you have to build the HRC, the R&D center, and then the troopers. How many Eagles could an enemy crank out in that same time frame?

As Alfex says, we don't need a chart, the battlefield will show what works best. That is why multiplayer is SO very cool, and why I thank Scott and the guys every time I play Warfare Inc multiplayer. The multiplayer arena is the purest crucible for finding sucessful strategies.

See you on the battlefield,

/GaymBoi
alfex
Die-hard Fan

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gaymboi,

You caught me. I am using different tactics now after playing so many other JOINers on the Internet. The good ones just build lots of bullpups, Hydras and Cyclops. They beat me up so I am trying their tactics now.

I keep looking for the golden grail of beating any other players I encounter. There are many ways to win, depends on your opponent's opening moves. Sort of like chess. They build troops, you build Liberators, they build tanks, you build Hydras. Cool

Established Forum User

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the most effective way to counter rocket troops is with guards. They cost 1/3 the price.

I have a ring. Don't piss me off. Twisted Evil
Mithoz
Forum Conqueror

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL 7 year difference in posts!!

No point building guards to counter rocket troopers, libs are fine cos that also means you will need to build a human building which takes time. Also guards are very easy to kill so their not worth having them make up your numbers

The van javas: berly, val, mole, brian, mat, wish, rully, kou, ducati, blake, warkilla, kempa, dealer, morph.
wonderer
Let The Truth Be Told

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but if you only able to build rocket and security who would win?

if you fighting in an open area then the security would win but fighting with rivers the rockets would win.
so it matters on the map

being leader of viet pride.
Being the second highest poster on this forum.
Write many strategy.
Helping people and making people laugh.
slimjimninja
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you had three rocket trooper vs one lib the lib would take out two troopers or take one out and heavily damage another before dying.
wonderer
Let The Truth Be Told

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

didnt now that Razz
being leader of viet pride.
Being the second highest poster on this forum.
Write many strategy.
Helping people and making people laugh.
Mithoz
Forum Conqueror

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slimjimninja wrote:
If you had three rocket trooper vs one lib the lib would take out two troopers or take one out and heavily damage another before dying.

on the otherhand 3 libs verus one rocket trooper. that one rocket trooper will only get off one shot

The van javas: berly, val, mole, brian, mat, wish, rully, kou, ducati, blake, warkilla, kempa, dealer, morph.
Cazmo95
Developing Poster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually don't have a problem if I build a 1 lib to every 3 hydras.
Da Dealer
Chat Mod Emeritus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To counter an army of limit reached rocket troops I would make infantry scouts quicker so you can more easily flank but no one would ever make a army of rockets
Former #1 player
Chat mod
Started in 09'
jaskorhov213
WI Forum Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Da Dealer wrote:
To counter an army of limit reached rocket troops I would make infantry scouts quicker so you can more easily flank but no one would ever make a army of rockets

i agree

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warfare Incorporated Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: