Warfare Incorporated :: View topic - Galaxit Stacking Test
Warfare Incorporated Forum Index
 FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups 
 Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

Galaxit Stacking Test

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warfare Incorporated Forum Index -> Mission Sharing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Razitt
WI Forum Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:52 pm    Post subject: Galaxit Stacking Test Reply with quote

This is an update to what I last uploaded. And thank you N104 for letting me know that the stacking does not work. I just found out myself using the help option tips. I also noticed that red wasn't doing anything. So, I messed around with the unit group settings to see if that helps. Otherwise, right after this post, I will be searching through the forum to fix this. Thanks.

Last edited by Razitt on Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:02 pm; edited 3 times in total
N104
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Razitt, if you haven't figured it out yet, galaxite can't be stacked mined accordingly. I tried it once but it didn't work Sad

An interesting experiment to try would be to open the compiled pdb file in a hex editor and modify the coordinates of galaxite all to one spot on the map, then test if it can be mined. If it could be mined, that would prove that multiple layers of galaxite are wiped during map compilation, if only one of the galaxite squares could be mined, it would prove that not being able to mine galaxite layers has something to do with the game's code.

I might try that sometime when I have free time. I've often wondered if it would be possible to 'bypass' some M's errors (like unreachable terrain for example) buy modifying the odb in a hex editor after M has compiled it. The spiffcode maps have unreachable terrain and buildings on terrain, so there should be some way to do it.

Razitt
WI Forum Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, N104 for reviewing and letting me know. I also noticed Red wasn't doing anything. so, I tried messing with the unit group settings to see if that helps.
N104
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Razitt wrote:
Thanks, N104 for reviewing and letting me know.
Your welcome.

Razitt wrote:
Red wasn't doing anything. so, I tried messing with the unit group settings to see if that helps.
I noticed you updated this map here. Please try to update your maps by editing your original topic (this one) rather than creating a new one.

Theres several reasons red won't do anything. First of all, your end mission triggers are set to terminate the game if side 1 or side 2 owns alteast 0 units. So the map will end when it loads. Why? Because any side will always have 0 or more troops which will fulfill the trigger's condition and cause it to fire. Next, your map doesn't have any color with human intelligence. Also, since the computer only gets 10000 credits total, if thats not enough to finish building all of the unit group, the group wont do anything (unit groups shouldn't execute their assigned action until the whole group is built).

LawrenceA
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

N104!!! wrote:
I've often wondered if it would be possible to 'bypass' some M's errors (like unreachable terrain for example) buy modifying the odb in a hex editor after M has compiled it. The spiffcode maps have unreachable terrain and buildings on terrain, so there should be some way to do it.

I believe that error can be bypassed by placing a texture (a path, for example) over the barrier between reachable and unreachable terrain.

N104
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LawrenceA wrote:
I believe that error can be bypassed by placing a texture (a path, for example) over the barrier between reachable and unreachable terrain.
That will bypass the error law, but it does it by making the terrain reachable. Thus, defeating the purpose.

Everything in a template collection has two properties: units can pass over them, units cannot pass over them. For example, paths can be passed over by units, cliffs cannot be passed over by units. You can put objects from a .tc file on top of each other, but the properties of the bottom one is void.
If you surround a unit with cliffs, you will get a unit unreachable error. When you put a path over the cliff walls, the path is on top, which gives the units permission to pass over even though theres still a cliff underneath. Because units can not pass over, the unit surrounded by cliffs is not reachable and the error is bypassed.
My point is that, your suggestion won't bypass the error if you wish to keep the unit unreachable.

LawrenceA
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done it before and while the editor defines the terrain as reachable, units will not be able to pass through. Give it a go. Smile

My .remote map has Andy enclosed by walls. Without this trick he wouldn't be able to be there.

Here's what Crackerz said in 2004:

"TIP: If you want to place a structure in a spot and you get the error that the structure is on top of "Unreachable", try laying the "background" square over the area you want to use, then placing your structure on top of it. "

Link

N104
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LawrenceA wrote:
I've done it before and while the editor defines the terrain as reachable, units will not be able to pass through. Give it a go. Smile

My .remote map has Andy enclosed by walls. Without this trick he wouldn't be able to be there.
Have you done it with landscape instead of walls? The bypass method works on your .remote map because your doing it with walls. Walls are gobs where cliffs/rivers are templates.

Crackerz wrote:
TIP: If you want to place a structure in a spot and you get the error that the structure is on top of "Unreachable", try laying the "background" square over the area you want to use, then placing your structure on top of it.
When I try it with templates (cliffs/rivers), any template(s) parts under under the background tile are removed during compilation. This works fine with walls though.
LawrenceA
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

N104!!! wrote:
Have you done it with landscape instead of walls? The bypass method works on your .remote map because your doing it with walls. Walls are gobs where cliffs/rivers are templates.

Woo! More knowledge for us!

N104
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha yep. There's always something new to learn about that mission editor.

I decompressed a .pdb file and looked at the contents. The coordinates of templates seems to be in the .tmap file. The file itself appears to have some type of compression or encryption, so I don't think there's any way to easily modify the positioning of templates after a .pdb is compiled.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Warfare Incorporated Forum Index -> Mission Sharing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: